I don't want to work, I just want to bang on the drum all day

Thank you everyone for your comments.  I'm sorry for not posting updates.  As I'm sure you've assumed, things have been calm, mostly because Ramona Quimby (Six's new name) was out of town for two weeks, then at a camp for a week.  We had her Friday night, and we'll have her sporadically this week.
 
Ramona's schedule changes every week.  When it works for Karen.  We usually have her Wednesday through Saturday.  This week we have her Tuesday (I'm not complaining about the amount of days, just the inconsistency of it), Wednesday, and Thursday days, then Friday for an overnighter.
 
Karen and Ramona are obviously close.  And that's great.  When she's with us, she asks about her mom, when she's going home or when her mom is coming to pick her up.  She tells us she misses her.  A lot.
 
Is there anything you can suggest for that?  We usually distract her with a game or a tickle fight, or remind her that she just saw her the day before and she'll see her soon.
 
Morocco, thanks for your suggestion on the shared calendars.  I've seen the cuzi calendar.  I read about some other step families that have found the shared google calendar helpful.  Maybe I'll start that.

 

3 comments:

Morocco said...

Yo~

No problem, I hope it works for you guys. As far as her missing mom, maybe Ramona could keep a small photo album at your house that contains pictures of her mom. Or try to find some books that pertain to visiting the other parent to help ease her anxiety. I know how it feels because Evan was the same way around that age. His mom eventually sent him her scarf to remind him of her when they lived with us for 5 weeks due to her CPS case.

NatzG said...

Hi! I found your blog through Morocco.

It's tough when they talk about their mom, isn't it. But a really good sign that they feel confident enough to do it.

My suggestion would be to encourage her to talk about it. Even coax it out of her. Like "if your mom was here, what would you like to do with her?". Depending what she says (if anything), I would ask, is that something you can do with us instead. If not, just say that you understand why she would miss her mom, sympathize with her. When I'm feeling at my most magnanimous, I offer to help the kids make a craft for their mom.

Hope that helps! Good luck :-)

Crys said...

Hi, I just found your blog and I can relate to a couple of things being new at all this. I was going to suggest or ask if you three go out on fun little family adventures (picnic day at the park, fun hands-on kids museum.) Me and my boyfriend have been taking his three boys out to do fun stuff so that we can have fun as our little family unit. It's seems to help them with the new situations. I hope to read more and hopefully learn too. Take care!